The Empress Theater in Vallejo was built in 1911 by the Odd Fellows. At that time it was two-tiered and had
gold-leafed clouds on the ceiling, a pipe organ and red velvet seats.
In 1913, the name was changed to The Republic Theater and in 1916 it was re-named The Vallejo. In 1929, the
theater underwent yet another name change this time to The Fox Senator Theatre. Owners then installed
talking picture equipment.
A fire gutted the theatre in 1930 and in 1931 a lot of the interior was renovated including adding a men's and
women's toilet. The framing and structure, the stage and the back stage areas were unchanged. Some of the
decorative elements also remained. When the theatre re-opened, it was used primarily as a movie theater.
In 1951, the theater undergoes yet another interior facelift reflecting the styles of the time. In 1952, the theatre
is renamed The Crest and was run as a single screen movie house which closed 10 years later. Between 1962
and 1978 the facility fell into a decline. It was then purchased by the Elliot family.
In 1980, the elliot family restores the theatre to its 1950s elegance and the name is changed back to The
Empress. IN 1989, the Loma Prieta Earthquake hit and did extensive damage. Because of the repair and
retrofit costs, the theater sat vacant for 20 years.
In 1990, the theatre became a Vallejo landmark and between 2003 and 2007, ownership changes several
times. In 2004, it is purchased by Empress Theatre Association, LL (EAT) and in 2006 it undergoes a seismic
retrofit and upgrades to the stage and HVAC system. The seats were also replaced. The lobby and restrooms
were improved also. In 2007, the renovation was completed and the theatre re-opened.
|Nancy Matz -Remote
|9- channel DVR
Cell Sensor Meter
Digital Voice Recorders
The Empress Theater in Vallejo, California is home to four
reported ghosts. The theater has hosted many movies and
productions over the years.
The lobby area of the Empress Theater in Vallejo.